Over 80 Years of God’s Grace
Thereafter, the church became a viable community with religious programs, training, and teaching for the growing Chinese population in the city. It was also a home away from home for many students, immigrants, visitors, and local residents. Many fellowships, World War II Service Clubs, Americanization classes, cultural and social activities provided opportunities for the gospel to be preached. The Chinatown Service Center of the church coordinates some of these same programs today as a demonstration of God’s love in action.
Always a beacon to the Chinese community in the Nation’s Capital, CCC moved its afternoon services at Mount Vernon Place to worship in its newly-acquired townhouse at 1011 L Street NW in 1939 until she raised funds to build a church at that location in 1957. The growing congregation returned to Mount Vernon Place in 1994 as part of a Shared Ministry until it purchased her present historic location in Chinatown in 2006. CCC hopes to add to the building’s illustrious history (designed by U.S. Capitol architect, Thomas Ustick Walter and built in 1852 as a Presbyterian church before serving Jewish and then Baptist congregations) by being faithful to God’s calling to proclaim the saving grace of Jesus Christ to the community and beyond.
Since moving to our I Street building, CCC has completed renovation of the fellowship hall, Sunday School classrooms and offices, and a total exterior restoration, the latter thanks in great measure to a gift from Gould Properties. In 2012 after a total demolition and redesign, the new sanctuary, our final building project, was dedicated to the glory of God enabling us to welcome in all who seek the heart of God. Yet, foremost in the minds of the congregation is striving to be faithful to God’s calling for service in His kingdom. We invite you to be part of any of the Sunday worship services (Cantonese, Mandarin, and English), Sunday School classes, Bible study cell, fellowship or prayer groups, or community outreach opportunities.
Thanks Be to God!